Waiting for the Fed
This week was a holding week ahead of the Fed meeting next Wednesday. The recent slew of US data has shown a mixed outlook, but US labour costs showed a large drop this week which will reassure some investors that the Fed may feel at liberty to slow the pace of US rate hikes. However, the problem is that the US picture is far from clear, so the sentiment turned neutral this week among US investors ahead of the Fed next week. In other news, the BoC signalled that it may be at its peak and could stop hiking rates now if inflation does not keep rising.
Other key events from the past week
- * S&P500: US Labour costs drop, Dec 07: News that US unit labour costs have fallen to 2.4% q/q from 3.1% q/q expected helped lift hopes of slower Fed hikes this week. Major focus remains on US jobs data and this offset some of the angst from the high average hourly earnings indicated by the last NFP print.
- * CAD: Dovish hike by the BoC, Dec 07: The Bank of Canada hiked by 50bps this week to 4.25%. However, the BoC see slowing growth ahead for the economy and is now considering whether it is necessary to hike rates further.
- * USD: US Initial Jobless Claims, Dec 08: The last US FOMC minutes recognise the high chance of a US recession. This week’s initial jobless claims showed continuing jobless claims rose to 1671K vs 1600K expected. This is one more piece of data that could cause the Fed to signal slowing rates next week.
Key events for the coming week
- * USD: Inflation focus, Dec 13: Key focus after a very strong wages print from the last NFP remains on US inflation. A big print & expectations will grow for more aggressive Fed hikes which should support the USD & pressure stocks.
- * Stronger seasonals approach for silver: Is silver set to soar post the Fed meeting?
- * USD: Interest Rate decision, Dec 14: How high will the Federal Reserve need to go next year? 4.75%, 5% or even higher above 5.25%? This is what traders and investors will be wanting to know from the Fed this Wednesday.
About: HYCM is the global brand name of HYCM Capital Markets (UK) Limited, HYCM (Europe) Ltd, HYCM Capital Markets (DIFC) Ltd and HYCM Limited, all individual entities under HYCM Capital Markets Group, a global corporation operating in Asia, Europe, and the Middle East.
High-Risk Investment Warning: Contracts for Difference (‘CFDs’) are complex financial products that are traded on margin. Trading CFDs carries a high degree of risk. It is possible to lose all your capital. These products may not be suitable for everyone and you should ensure that you understand the risks involved. Seek independent expert advice if necessary and speculate only with funds that you can afford to lose. Please think carefully whether such trading suits you, taking into consideration all the relevant circumstances as well as your personal resources. We do not recommend clients posting their entire account balance to meet margin requirements. Clients can minimise their level of exposure by requesting a change in leverage limit. For more information please refer to HYCM’s Risk Disclosure.
*Any opinions made in this material are personal to the author and do not reflect the opinions of HYCM. This material is considered a marketing communication and should not be construed as containing investment advice or an investment recommendation, or an offer of or solicitation for any transactions in financial instruments. Past performance is not a guarantee of or prediction of future performance. HYCM does not take into account your personal investment objectives or financial situation. HYCM makes no representation and assumes no liability as to the accuracy or completeness of the information provided, nor any loss arising from any investment based on a recommendation, forecast, or other information supplied by an employee of HYCM, a third party, or otherwise. Without the approval of HYCM, reproduction or redistribution of this information isn’t permitted.