Trading the Pennant and Flag Pattern
According to Thomas Bulkowski, one of the most profitable technical patterns is the high and tight flag, breaking higher. According to Bulkowski, when properly recognised, it can reach a target up to 90% of the time. So, here is what you need to look for to recognise them.
Recognising the flag pattern
Here are the steps to recognising the pattern:
- 1. First of all, you need to witness a steep and sharp price trend (ideally over 90% gain).
- 2. Ideally, this price move should be around 45 degrees.
- 3. Then you need to see the price form a small channel that resembles a ‘flag’ pattern.
- 4. The best performance comes from when the flag slopes away from the preceding trend.
- 5. Flag formations should form over a few short days – ideally, less than 15 days.
- 6. Use the measured rule to aim for your target. So, the height of the move preceding the ‘flag’ formation is the measured target from the breakout of the pattern.
- 7. Use a trailing stop to lock in profits.
- 8. The trade entry is simply the break of the pattern and stops can be placed on the other side of the pattern.
Here is a look at what the Flag pattern should look like:
The most likely reason the flag pattern works is that by definition you are already entering a trending market. That is a prerequisite for finding the pattern. This pushes the odds in your favour and, when combined with a trailing stop, you can see why some traders focus on trading the flag and pennant pattern in isolation.
HYCM clients can access the Seasonax product in order to analyse over 25,000 currency pairs, indices, commodities, as well as individual stocks. Please contact your account manager for a free trial. Certain products & services mentioned herein may or may not be available to all clients depending on which HYCM Capital Markets Group entity their trading account(s) adheres to.
About: HYCM is the global brand name of HYCM Capital Markets (UK) Limited, HYCM (Europe) Ltd, HYCM Capital Markets (DIFC) Ltd and HYCM Limited, all individual entities under HYCM Capital Markets Group, a global corporation operating in Asia, Europe, and the Middle East.
High-Risk Investment Warning: Contracts for Difference (‘CFDs’) are complex financial products that are traded on margin. Trading CFDs carries a high degree of risk. It is possible to lose all your capital. These products may not be suitable for everyone and you should ensure that you understand the risks involved. Seek independent expert advice if necessary and speculate only with funds that you can afford to lose. Please think carefully whether such trading suits you, taking into consideration all the relevant circumstances as well as your personal resources. We do not recommend clients posting their entire account balance to meet margin requirements. Clients can minimise their level of exposure by requesting a change in leverage limit. For more information please refer to HYCM’s Risk Disclosure.